The facility hosts urban water-vegetation-soils centred research in a unique, full-scale sustainable drainage context with dedicated laboratory space and state-of -the-art instrumentation and monitoring capabilities. Facilities comprise:
- Full scale SuDS demonstrators (in-ground, vegetated ensembles);
- Full scale experimental swale to test significant hydrological events;
- A set of ten modular, heavily instrumented lysimeters;
- Large green roof integrated with the Urban Sciences Building
- High specification internal laboratory space in the Urban Sciences Building; and,
- Comprehensive monitoring and data management through the Newcastle Urban Observatory
For further information contact Dr Ross Stirling here.
Green Roof Centre
University of Sheffield
The University of Sheffield is the leading research establishment in this field in the UK, with an unrivalled range of expertise in the green roof arena. It has developed an international reputation for excellence in green roof studies.
To enhance and focus the interdisciplinary research undertaken within Sheffield the Green Roof Centre was founded by the University of Sheffield, Groundwork Sheffield and the 4 surrounding local authorities (Barnsley, Doncaster, Sheffield and Rotherham). The Green Roof Centre operates with partners nationally to demonstrate the potential of green roof uptake in the UK.
More Information can be found here.